Botulism outbreak in French restaurant – British diners urged to contact emergency services | UK News

British health authorities are urgently asking anyone who has dined in a restaurant in France to contact emergency services after a botulism outbreak.

One person died and eight others were hospitalized, all linked to the Tchin Tchin wine bar in Bordeaux.

The affected diners, some of whom have been confirmed as Irish citizens, are believed to have eaten sardines between September 4 and 10.

Botulism is a rare but serious disease caused by a toxin that attacks the nervous system.

The UK Health Security Agency has stressed that the disease is not transmitted from person to person and there is no risk to the general population.

Only people who ate sardines in restaurants during this period could be affected.

It usually takes 12 to 36 hours for symptoms of botulism to appear.

Symptoms often start with blurred vision and difficulty swallowing and speaking, but sometimes diarrhea and vomiting can also occur.

The disease can cause vision problems and paralysis – and can also be fatal in 5-10% of cases.

Source link:

Xem thêm:  2023 World Championships: Zharnel Hughes wins 100m bronze as Noah Lyles triumphs

Related Posts