Andy Murray withdrew from the Cincinnati Open on Monday night due to abdominal strain.
The 36-year-old continues to recover from his injury as he prepares to take part in the US Open which kicks off later this month in New York. Cincinnati is among the tournaments that players see as Open tune-ups.
Murray pulled out of last week’s Canadian Open ahead of his Round of 16 clash with the eventual champion Jannik Sinner because of the strain. He felt the injury for the first time after spending nearly five hours on the pitch in wins Lorenzo Sonego And Max Purcell.
“Unfortunately I won’t be able to play tonight,” Murray told the crowd last week before the start of the game against Sinner. “I’m so sorry. I know I feel like I let you down. I’ve rarely been in this situation in my career, and I feel terrible.”
The three-time Grand Slam champion and former world No. 1 traveled to Cincinnati where he hoped to be fit in time to face Russia. Karen Khachanovbut he will have to be “replaced by a lucky loser”, said the ATP.
Murray is ranked No. 36 in the world, his highest ranking since hip resurfacing surgery in 2019. He was also named in Britain’s Davis Cup squad for its final group stage, which begins after the end of the US Open.
Information from Reuters was used in this report.